CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Assignment # 9 - Diary of a Loyalist

Hey bloggers! This is my Assignment #9

June 9th, 1774

My daughter's name is Martha and my husband's, John.

The past days have been difficult, selling my family's belongings has been very hard to cope with. Losing the memories of my daughter's years has been the most difficult thing in my lifetime. Although, moving away from my home will be almost as difficult. I know it will be better to be in a new place at this time, but it is still extremely hard to leave the place my family has lived in for generations. It will be difficult for my husband to find a new job, but I know we will cope with whatever we have.

I cannot help thinking forward to the long and treacherous journey before us, I do not want to die, and I do not want even one of my dearest family to die, but of coarse, I know there is a large possibility. But you cannot blame one for dreaming.

- Catherine C. Walters



July 28th, 1774

We have finally settled in to our new home. Our neighbors are a little odd - every time me or my family say hello, they just turn away and whisper. I don't really understand why they act so strangely, but I guess it's none of my business. I wonder if I'll ever find out why they act that way... oh well.

My husband has found a decent job and he earns just enough money for my family. I believe that we will have an excellent life here and many generations will as well.

My daughter has made many new friends and enjoys being with them. One her friends - Annabelle - is very sweet, she comes in the morning and helps us with all of our chores. Martha fetches the water and then runs along with her friends for the day. I do miss her being at my side, but I want her to be happy. I am a bit worried about her safety in this new town as well and whether or not she likes it here...

I will keep living my life and hope for the best.

- Catherine C. Walters


April 3rd, 1775

I don't understand why this is happening... what did we ever do to deserve this?

Yesterday my daughter came home with scratches and bruises. She said that all of her friends through twigs and rocks at her and Annabelle. She said that they did it just because our family still wants to stay loyal to The Crown, but they do not.

Later that night someone broke into our home and took my husband outside threatening to put him in prison. I went outside to make sure he was alright just to find my daughter being dragged by the hair out there with him. I ran to Martha to protect her, but it didn't do much good, there were five of them...

And now we have hardly anything left. Our money was taken as well as all of our crops and food. I never know what to expect now.

John says we have to move to British North America to finally be safe again. I really don't want to move again, we just got here and we were still settling in.

Why must god do this to us? What did we ever do to him?

Well, we must face the troubles that god puts in front of us and just hope for the best. But I truly am afraid that these next days will be our last.

- Catherine C. Walters





April 5th, 1775

Today we will leave the 13 Colonies and begin our new journey. We do not know what we will encounter in British North America, but we will hope for the best and try our hardest to survive with whatever we have.

Oh. John is calling. It is time for our journey to begin...

-Catherine C. Walters



January 17th, 1775

We have finally reached our new home. It is so much better here, there's no one who treats us the way we were before. Our neighbors are wonderful and Martha has made much better friends than her old ones - if you can even call them friends. We have settled in quite nicely and the next generations will live here with happiness as well.

Well, this will be the last of me from here on, I shall live the rest of my life with happiness and joy, if not you may here from me again, but I shall not think that my family may be in danger once more. There will be no more from me, and if anyone is to find the remains of this journal I hold in my hands for the last time, they will truly know my story and the life that went along with it.

My story is told and I have no more to say, so, my dearest life be yours and know that I will not stop living until the last possible moment.

- Catherine C. Walters



Map of North America in the 1700's


Wikipedia - Loyalist The Canadian Encyclopedia - Loyalist

1 comments:

Mimi said...

Hey Ry, I loved it ( assignment #9) so much. You did a really good job and you wrote alot.:D Bye oh and don't forget to follow my blog..Thank you.